Newly Elected and Appointed Trustees
Congratulations on becoming a member of one of California’s community college governing boards. You will find many rewards and challenges in carrying out your responsibilities.
To welcome you into your new role, watch this short video from our leadership team. In addition, here are three steps to get you started in your journey as a trustee:
1. Enroll in the Excellence in Trusteeship Program.
The Excellence in Trusteeship Program is designed to facilitate the ongoing education of all trustees in California community colleges by providing a solid foundation for effective board governance. There are multiple pathways to complete the 9-competency, 27-unit, 1-year program that supports the ACCJC accreditation requirement for continuing board development.
2. Register for the Effective Trusteeship Workshop.
The most important League event for new trustees is the Effective Trusteeship Workshop (ETW) in January. It is the single best overview of responsibilities required for board members of California Community Colleges. State leaders and experienced trustees provide a comprehensive overview of the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective trustee.
3. Register for the Annual Legislative Conference.
The Annual Legislative Conference provides a unique opportunity to connect with other advocates and learn the latest news on the state budget and the economic and policy landscape for California and the nation. Participants will also become familiar with new members of important legislative committees, legislative proposals affecting colleges and student learning, and advocacy strategies for the current legislative year. You will also have the opportunity to meet personally with members of the Assembly, Senate, Governor's Office, and other inflential professionals in Sacramento.
NEXT STEPS: Before attending your first League event, read and review as much of the following as possible:
- Introduction to Fiscal Responsibilities (Access Password: ETP8.13.2020)
- Introduction to Brown Act >> Segment 1 | Segment 2 | Segment 3 | Segment 4 | Segment 5 | Segment 6 | Segment 7
- Trustees Guide to Commonly Used Terms in California Community Colleges
- Trusteeship – Tasks, Knowledge and Skills
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation for Governing Boards
- CCLC Commission on the Future Report
- Chancellor's Office Call to Action Letter, June 2020
- Vision for Success DEI Report
- Rosenberg's Rules of Order: Simple Rules of Parliamentary Procedure for the 21st Century, Revised 2011
Open Meeting Law (Brown Act) Resources
- OPEN & PUBLIC IV: A Guide to the Ralph M. Brown Act (2nd Edition, Revised July 2010) The Brown Act and the Perils of Electronic Communication, Western City magazine, June 2011
- The Ralph M. Brown Act Firsthand, Western City magazine, February 1999
- Local Agency Electronic Media Use and California Public Records Law